Raising a Website from the Dead

Over the past week I’ve been putting this website back together (using Jekyll and Minimal Mistakes.)

It’s been an adventure.

Back in 2005, I built WormBytes using a custom built static website generator written in Perl’s Template Toolkit. After a couple of years I had moved on to Ruby and I stopped updating the site.

In September of 2009 my wife, Roselle Kaes, and I found out we were to be parents. I felt this should be documented so I resurrected the site on WordPress.

The WordPress site was a short lived experiment (less than eight months!)

That’s where the site sat until 2016 when the super old computer I was using as a server (a machine that used to run my ISP Flarenet and which had been sitting in my parent’s basement) finally died.

WormBytes as a web presence ceased to exist. :(

A former coworker at ePublishing, Christopher Coleman, asked me to publish some of the software development practises we’ve developed at ePublishing. It’s a brilliant idea, but I had no where to put the articles.

Until now.